ALSA sound issue and sdl sound issue

Ethan A Burns eaburns at pascal.unh.edu
Sun Sep 18 20:25:44 EDT 2005

I have two sound issues.  The sound for ALSA on quake2 binary sounds like a
high pitched machine gun.  I have seen another post on this on Sept 1st
in the archive:
http://icculus.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm/ezmlm-cgi?5:mss:1720:oogjadbaohnhojiokmhe
It sounds like the exact same problem, I was wondering if there was going
to be a fix soon, or if there is a way to fix this already?

I am also experiencing problems with the sdlquake2 binary, the sounds are all
fine, except for sounds with a lot of bass.  For example the sound when moving
up and down on the menu sounds like crap, it is very delayed, very low pitch
and is elongated.  Is this a problem with the sdl in quake or would that be a
problem on my part?

By the way:
My install is via gentoo's portage, I am not running kde (or arts),
my kernel is 2.6.12.5 vanilla, and my sound card is an intel using the ac97
drivers.