qmax and regularq2 differences in rendering (fps problem with ati)

Anders Storsveen wakko at generation.no
Sun Nov 13 08:29:28 EST 2005

can someone tell me what is the difference in rendering between q2 and
q2max? because with my ati-card, using the fglrx driver from ati, I get
like 200fps stable in when running qmax.. but like 50-70fps when running
regular quake2 with the same settings and config...

seems there must be some difference in implementation between the two,
rather annoying problem, since I don't like qmax, but I dislike low fps
even more :P