[quake2] To all the mouse problem peoples

Anders Storsveen wakko at generation.no
Thu Mar 17 21:39:00 EST 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 03:15:41 +0100, Julien Langer <jlanger at zigweb.de>
wrote:

>> I haven't seen an single computer where quake3 has had mouse
>> acceleration
>> off (though this is not a problem, I'm pretty sure you have mouse
>> acceleration). If you follow my description you will think so too.
>>
>> In the quake3 menu, first thing you see, move the mouse to the var left
>> or
>> right. then mark off a little area (about 15cm) by putting an obstacle
>> on
>> each side (some books there or something). move the mouse slowly to the
>> other obstacle (use about 15 seconds or more), then mark off how much
>> the
>> mouse moved on the screen (mine moved to the middle of the screen. THEN
>> move it back to where you started (don't move the obstacles) then move
>> the
>> mouse quickly to the other obstacle, like under one second. Then my
>> mouse
>> was stopped on the other side of the screen. THIS means that you have
>> mouse acceleration.
>>
>> Also I have done "xset m 0 0" and set mouse acceleration to x1.0 in kde
>> setup.
>
> Ok...
> I placed two books on my mouse pad in the exact distance to be able to
> do a 360° turn in the game. (I couldn't try this in the q3 menu since
> the mouse speed in the menu is so high that the cursor moves from one
> border to the other by just moving the mouse 1 cm on the pad)

the fact that you have very high sens in the quake3 menu may be an
indication that you infact don't have mouse acceleration!
do you have dgamouse enabled? Please PLEASE tell me all your settings
specs, please post your xorg.conf and every setting you can think of :)

> I moved the mouse veeery slow from the first book to the second and It
> did a complete 360° turn.
> I moved the mouse back to the other book very fast, and again did a 360°
> turn.
> I tried this 20 or 30 times, moving the mouse slowly from one book to
> the other, and moving it fast. And it really did always a 360° turn. Not
> more and not less. (except when I accidentally pushed the books a few
> millimetres with the mouse ;))
>
> And I know how mouse acceleration "feels". I played quake3 with in-game
> mouse acceleration for quite some time.
>
> So I really can't see any acceleration there.
>
> Oh and the mouse is always exactly the same, no matter what I have set
> up with xset. Quake 3 (and other games) accesses the mouse directly.
> Maybe you should try to enable DGA in your Xserver?

I need to have this enabled to get xrandr to work, this disables dga-mouse
too right?
     SubSection  "extmod"
         Option  "omit xfree86-dga"
     EndSubSection