[quake2] Q2Max effects

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Sun Apr 17 22:57:42 EDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-17-04 at 21:18 +0200, coyote at cojot.name wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2005, Michael Christy wrote:
>
> > I would also like to note that the Q2MAX renderer is seriously broken on
> > the Alpha architecture.  The games starts normally with Q2MAX but then
> > always crashes when the pistol is fired.  I have found that crashes like
> > this on Alpha are sometimes indicative of a more insideous bug that is
> > generally hidden on x86.
>
> Just for the record, the QMAX work fine (albeit slowly) on Solaris/Sparc
> (Same endianness as the axp).

No, Alphas are little endian, just like x86. The major difference is
that they're 64 bit.

PPC is big endian like SPARC, and Q2MAX is working perfectly here
AFAICT.

> However, when the pistol is fired, strange things happen: On machines with
> XVR-1000 graphics, the game freezes for a few seconds and on machines with
> XVR-600 graphics the freeze is shorter (although noticeable).

If gl_ext_multitexture is enabled in the Q2 configuration, the OpenGL
implementation might handle the lightmaps inefficiently (a common
issue).