[quake2] RC 3

arny at taiga.com arny at taiga.com
Sat Sep 25 02:52:18 EDT 2004

Hello,

> http://www.icculus.org/quake2/files/quake2-r0.16.tar.gz
>
> Arny, this one should hopefully work for you...
> --brendan

OK removing them 3 -f* options from the Makefile it compiles
and works fine for me.

I used the 'shareware' data as described in the README.  Tried
the default Makefile first and both software X11 and hardware
glx drivers worked fine (I used 800x600 mode) with quake2 and
sdlquake2

I also tryed setting the option to enable svgalib in the Makefile
and recompiled.  Svgalib software driver worked fine, and I tried
the X11 and glx drivers and they hadn't broken either.  (I'm all
in favour of svgalib being enabled by default if you don't think
it'll create any issues, although I suppose most novice users
use X11 so the automatic use of svgalib if DISPLAY is missing
might cause them issues if svgalib doesnt like their video.)

I'm only really trying to test that it compiles and runs, rather
than performance or whether all parts of the game work (I'm not
into games, and anything more advanced than doom on a 486 tends
to make me motionsick ;-) ).  However I think I noticed the mouse
issue people have mentioned, and also the sound seems to have
issues compared to my quake2-0.15 'BUILD_QMAX=YES' install.  This
may just be because I've recently changed my soundcard from a decent
ES1371 card to a possibly dubious onboard VIA82CXXX AC97 affair.
However the nature of the problem is that you say fire a gun,
see the flash, but dont hear a bang rather than random problems
affecting the sound generally.  Only does it some of the time,
normally when theres a bit of action, not all the time.  I tried
'max-compatibility' and 'max-performance'.  It was similar to the
problem with the mouse in that you moved the mouse and nothing
happenned for a split second.  I'm only mentioning this in case
it offers any clues to problems you're having, don't regard it
as a concrete bug report. For a start I've not tried 'BUILD_QMAX=YES'.

I was going to check it with both the shareware data and the game
CD disk data.  Seems appropiate to see if you want to make changes
and give me another tar ball though before I go test it with the
game CD data.  Let me know.

For the record, my system:

Linux 2.4.26, gcc 2.95.3, slackware 8.1, XFree86 4.2.0,
SDL 1.2.4, libglide3.so.3.10.0, svgalib 1.4.3

AMD Athlon XP 2200+, 512MB ram, PCI 3dfx voodoo 4, VT8233 AC97 Audio

I still say you need instructions on how to access the archive of
this mailing list in the README ;-)

Cheers,

Arny