[quake2] Mouse issues with GLX renderer

Jakub Kamecki [MaxiGaz] mega_kafaro at gazeta.pl
Fri Jan 16 15:54:45 EST 2004

Krishna Rajendran wrote:
> I have identical problems on debian and gentoo systems with nvidia and ati
> cards. Mouse movement with GLX is completely broken, while perfectly
> functional with SDL.

This is a solution to this problem given to me by The SIN Raven:

#v+

Hi again.
	First dont be scared with the how big this text is, it will work, i
promisse
you, soo read and follow all the steps... =)
	Sorry about the delay, but i was occupied with allot of things... =(
	O.K., lets start from the begining.
	In atach you will find my corrected XF86Config-4.
	You can use it like a reference file, but never override the one that you
have with this one.
	You will find a entry after:

     Load       "glx"

that is :

     Load       "v4l"

	I use this because i have a PCI TV/Radio card, so i need it, but if you
dont
have a TV Card you will not...

	I have found (after allot of tries) that the problem with Opengl GLX (the
best Opengl implementaction in Linux), was appenning because Q2 use XFree86
DGA mode when it ussing Opengl GLX.
	A good example of this, it that the problem only occurs when ussing OpenGL
GLX, if you use, Opengl SDL, Software X11, or Software SDL, you will not
have
problems.
	So we need to activate XFree86 DGA mode in XF86Config-4.
	Also we need to know that bolth the keyboard and the mouse will be used
with
XFree86 DGA mode.
	Soo what will we need to change.
	Basicly 2 things.

	In:

       Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension

we will comment it, like this:

#      Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension

	What did we doo here?
	Basicly we have made active the XFree86 DGA mode, this is one of the
reasons
why the XFree86 DGA was not loading in Q2.

	We will also changethe following:

#    Option     "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
#    Option     "XkbModel"      "pc107"
#    Option     "XkbLayout"     "pt"

to:

     Option     "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
     Option     "XkbModel"      "pc107"
     Option     "XkbLayout"     "pt"

	Only Xkbrules is vital, because this will tell to the keyboard to use
xfree86
rules.
	The XkbModel, might come in andy, check you keyboard model, mine is a 107.
	The XkbLayout, will tell what language to use in your windows manager,
mine
is Portuguese, so "pt"
	You might whant to see others thing like the amount of memory in you video
card, etc, just check it out.

	Finnaly, you will need to doo a last step.
	Open your Home directory, and go to view, and click in show hiden folder.
	Now you will see there a folder named quake2.
	Delete it.
	Now run the game, bingo..... =)
	Man i'm good, real good...=)

	If you need any more help, please let me know.
	Thake care friend, and let me know who it worked out...
	Hey maybe we will make a coop game together, what do you think???

	The SIN Raven

#v-

I'm installing a new system so I couldn't have made it shorter, but it's
a sure fire way. The main reason for the mouse lag is the dga mode. Find
that and modify it according to the above tutorial.

--