[quake2] Ideas

Brian Hook hook_l at pyrogon.com
Mon Mar 3 21:20:12 EST 2003

>Please note that such changes would make more difficult merging with
>other forks. I personally enjoy importing best improvements from
>Q2ACE for example...

Yes, that's always going to be a problem.  This is a hot topic for
developers working on Torque right now -- the code base is always
going to remain "about the same" until someone is willing to make
some major changes and leave a few people in the dust.

This is why it might be a better idea for me to fork a separate Q2.io
than to try to enhance Q2 i.o.  The changes I want to make are pretty
much fundamental improvements across the board, not just stylistic
stuff (as much as it may seem that way =) ).

I still think we have it both ways -- expand the game code in its own
little universe, e.g. ctf_lua, and see how that works out, without
adversely affecting the other stuff.  However at some point I'm going
to overhaul the ref_gl interface as well since it could, well, really
use an overhaul that makes it more efficient and easier to
debug/optimize.

I just got off the phone with Carmack and went over a lot of the
changes that were made from Q2 to Q3.  I commented that I was having
a feeling of deja vu doing some stuff and he basically said "Yeah,
that's because you already did this once when we went to Q3".

Brian