Porting latest Quake2Max to Linux

Joshua Barney derewuff at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 13 16:55:59 EDT 2003

I'm working on a rather incompetent port of Psychospaz's latest
available source (v0.42) to Linux.

Unfortunately I have effectively zero programming experience, besides
some ancient Pascal classes I took back in junior high (that I
flunked out of...  please don't laugh. ='P )

I figure I'd kind of improvise a little bit and use the Icculus Q^2
makefile with the Q2Max source, and after moving some C and header
files into the appropriate spots, gcc will at least attempt to
compile it now.

I'm simply going through the errors as they pop up; most seem
intuitive enough and have been fixed, but then this error cropped up:

In file included from src/client/cl_ents.c:23:
src/game/q_shared.h:55: redefinition of `byte'
src/game/q_shared.h:55: `byte' previously declared here
src/game/q_shared.h:56: conflicting types for `false'
src/game/q_shared.h:56: previous declaration of `false'
src/game/q_shared.h:56: conflicting types for `true'
src/game/q_shared.h:56: previous declaration of `true'
src/game/q_shared.h:56: confused by earlier errors, bailing out
make[1]: *** [debugi386/client/cl_ents.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/joshua/Quake2maX'
make: *** [build_debug] Error 2

I opened up q_shared.h and had a look.  The offending lines:

typedef unsigned char 		byte;
typedef enum {false, true}	qboolean;

What does this mean?  Is "byte" one of those special words that means
something to the compiler, that isn't supposed to be messed around
with, like "void" or "int"?  And how can I stop it from being
redefined?

~ Joshua

=====
"You can't have bread and loaf."