[quake2] Linux PPC

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Fri Apr 25 12:28:34 EDT 2003

On Don, 2003-04-24 at 06:13, Wesley Bear wrote:
> I tried compiling Quake 2 under Mandrake 9.1 on a second-gen iBook
> mostly with success.  The only problem is getting the sound to work.
> Quake2's console keeps reporting that /dev/dsp is in use.  Any ideas
> on this?

If you get a different error the first time, this is a known bug in the
dmasound driver: it breaks when opened for writing, you have to unload
the module and load it again.

Now quake2 doesn't actually need to write to the sound device, so the
code could be changed to only open it with O_RDONLY, but it still
wouldn't work (at least not well) with dmasound for various reasons.
Sound works perfectly here with sdlquake2 though.