[quake2] Couple source questions...

Brendan Burns brendanburns at attbi.com
Mon Sep 2 12:30:55 EDT 2002

On 9/2/02 4:52 AM, "Vincent S. Cojot" <coyote at step.polymtl.ca> wrote:

> Hello Guys,
>
> I have a couple questions...
>
> 1) Do you have any idea why the following changes were made? In
> src/ref_gl/gl_draw.c (If anyone remembers.. Steven, perhaps?):
<snip>
This code is before my time, but it seems like its not quite scaling the
image as maximally as requested.  There's probably a good reason...

> 2) I also noticed something I had not noticed in the Solaris port: Under the
> Solaris port, explosions aren't "full" with nice smoke effects but they
> ressemble the electrical glitches seen in various places (when you enter the
> game on the first level, for example..).. The explosions seem to be only
> made of particles, which gives an explosion "effect" but don't look as nice
> as they look under other platforms.. Does anyone know where I should start
> to look in order to re-enable the "real" explosions? Strangely enough, the
> Utah-GLX quake2 solaris port has the real explosions, not the particle ones..

Most of the explosion code (the code that places the explosions into the
model) are in client/cl_fx.c client/cl_newfx.c see CL_ExplosionParticles in
particular

For the code where the a rocket (or whatever) hitting something is turned
into calls to CL_ExplosionParticles etc. check out CL_ParseTEnt in cl_tent.c

The code is mildly convoluted, I don't think Id was really focused on clean
design ;-)

Hope that helps.

--brendan