Hanging on exit

mabonus james at mabonus.net
Mon Oct 28 16:19:15 EST 2002

I'm using a Voodoo Banshee on Mandrake 8.2 with a 2.4 series smp kernel,
and openGL/Glide/hardware acceleration works fine, but whenever I exit
some games it looks like control is not regained, and the only thing
the video card outputs is the last frame drawn.  Here is what I have
tried:

vendetta - Works fine, a few bugs, but I don't think it's the drivers,
just the game.  Exits beautifully

bzflag - Didn't regain controll.  Logged in with ssh and killed bzflag,
kde, X, etc, but never got the display working again.  Rebooted

tuxracer - Same thing, rebooted

quake2 - Worked fine, till I tried to exit.  Hung there, but a kill -9
for quake2.x86 killed quake and left me in 640x480 resolution, which I
could change out of

Any thoughts on why this might happen and what I can do to prevent it?

James