[quake2] Quake2 sound problems

Nicolai Haehnle prefect_ at gmx.net
Mon Feb 4 08:27:57 EST 2002

Am Montag, 4. Februar 2002 06:05 schrieb zakk:

> > > You might try killing arts.
> >
> >  But that's what I don't want to do.
> >
> > I have other SDL programs such as tuxracer, zsnes and others that have no
> > problems with arts.
>
> Generally, arts is going to prevent audio from working. If it doesn't
> prevent it, it will add latency.

Well, I didn't have to stop arts. It may add latency, but it won't cause
crappy sound. However, I had the exact same problem when porting an SDL
version of Quake to Windows...

The problem is that desired.samples isn't set correctly in snd_sdl.c. The
code which gets the desired sample count from the desired frequency has to
look like this:

if (desired.freq == 22050)
 desired.samples = 1024;
else if (desired.freq == 44100)
 desired.samples = 2048;
else
 desired.samples = 512;

Hope this helps. Kudos to Frank Hasenklever for finding that one out :)

cu,
Nicolai 'Prefect' Haehnle