[physfs] Matroska (EBML) as a custom game format

Jason McKesson korval2 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 14:22:13 EDT 2012

On Tuesday, April 17, 2012 9:56:15 PM, Kip Warner wrote:
> Hey list,
>
> I'd like to ask if anyone has given any consideration into using EBML
> as the basis for a game engine's custom game archive format. I asked
> over on the EMBL mailing list, but there isn't much activity there. I'd
> be interested in hearing other people's thoughts on this. Discussion
> welcome.
>
> For those who don't already know, it's the format used to implement the
> Matroska multimedia container format.
>
> Some of the advantages I came up with,
>
> * Enables extendability for future format changes

What future format changes? You're just packing files together; what
future extension do you need?

> * Can contain arbitrary metadata on top of skeletal animation data,
> geometry, textures, material shaders, scripts, and so on.

... and? I don't see how this is useful for games. Generally, if your
specific files aren't separated into different folders or packs, then
you use reasonable naming conventions. And extensions. You don't need
meta-data to identify a shader; you *know* it's a shader.

Also, if you need to do some asset search, like "find all of the
textures with property X", you could just have an SQLite database or
something that contains this data. No need to hijack a media container
format for it.