[physfs] What are the real benefits of PhysFS ?

Gregory Read zeph at clutteredmind.org
Thu Jul 16 16:29:29 EDT 2009

Even if you are doing any cross-platform file i/o of any kind, you will
undoubtedly find it worthwhile.  There are a lot of little stupid things
that are just slightly different, especially between Windows and other OSes.

As a contributor to the Win32 port of PhysFS, believe me, you don't want to
have to deal with that mess if you don't have to.  PhysFS is really a simple
wrapper that will generally stay out of your way.  And being a mature
library, it has gone through a lot of testing and patching that make it
pretty stable to boot.

>From what I recall, it also puts a nice wrapper on things like where the
user's home folder is (regardless of OS).  That alone makes it worth using
as far as I'm concerned.

Greg