[Fwd: Re: [physfs] Problems with non-ASCII characters]

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Sat Nov 12 21:27:54 EST 2005

> I use paragui and want to access a themefile. However, if this themefile
> is located under a directory with some non-US characters, it is not
> found. Now I have browsed the code of paragui and it looks as if the
> problem is not there (the code is quite straightforward, the characters
> are passed over to physfs quite directly). So I wanted to ask if physfs
> has problems with this etc.

PhysicsFS can't handle multibyte characters, if they might contain a
null byte...so a UCS-16 encoded filename won't work in most cases.

Mostly this is because we're using the ANSI C string functions internally.

I'm pretty sure UTF-8 encoded filenames should work (or, at least, the
fixes would be relatively trivial).