[physfs] PalmOS support

David Hedbor david at hedbor.org
Mon Dec 22 20:08:11 EST 2003

Brian Hook <hook_l at pyrogon.com> writes:

> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 12:36:03 -0600, David Hedbor wrote:
>> Brian Hook <hook_l at pyrogon.com> writes:
>
>> I think that the main issue is that PalmOS is so "different" that
>> it might not be a viable thing to do.
>
> It's quite a bit different than PocketPC, yet I know of a few people
> that have sourcebases that they claim are effectively identical
> between PalmOS and PocketPC?

Well, you can have a function "load_image" which loads the image using
platform specific code. The returned datatype could be OS specific
too. I don't know if people in general ever would manually load
bitmaps (to use that as an example) under PalmOS.

>> Especially since you never
>> really want to "load" data into memory but rather want to access it
>> in-place.
>
> Don't you decompress it from a binary resource first?  If so, it would
> seem that you have the same path:
>
> PalmOS -> load data resource, uncompress, store in memory
> PHYSFS -> load .ZIP resource, uncompress item, store in memory

Possibly but I'm not sure. Therein lies the problem. Images are loaded
into a struct which has no "data" pointer. The data is actually in the
struct but there's no variable to access it. It's hard to know how
this data is actually stored. It was a long time ago now, so I don't
even remember if you can load bitmaps from data files in a reasonable
fashion.

--
[ Below is a random fortune, which is unrelated to the above message. ]
You seek to shield those you love and you like the role of the provider.