[openbox] Trouble with keystroke on the list of windows

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri May 12 16:33:12 EDT 2023

Hi all,

I've been using Openbox for seven years and this is the first time
I found something less than optimal...

There's a window list that shows all windows open on all workspaces.
Normally, I navigate this list with the keyboard: I press a key and
focus moves to the next window whose title begins with the name I
typed, and if there's only one, that window opens immediately. Perfect!

Trouble is, sometimes I have so many windows open that at the bottom of
the window list is an entry called "more", which I can click to open
another window list for the later workspaces. If the window I seek is
on the "more" list, and I enter a letter, and only one item on the main
list starts with that letter, it opens the one window on the main list,
even though there's a second (desired) window, on the more list.

In an ideal world, this window list function would take into account
the "more" list. I know this would be a difficult change, but if a lot
of people would like to make the keystroke consider all window lists at
once, and if it's reasonably doable, maybe you can do it.

Thanks for a spectacular user interface that speeds my daily work
immensely!

SteveT

Steve Litt