[openbox] Can I dynamically change a client window's role?

Parke parke.nexus at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 17:59:13 EST 2021

On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 1:57 PM Mikael Magnusson <mikachu at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So, my question is:  Is it possible to dynamically change the
> > _OB_APP_ROLE property for a pre-existing client window?

> On 3/9/21, Parke <parke.nexus at gmail.com> wrote:
> You can't, and it wouldn't affect anything either way. The role of a
> window only serves to identify it uniquely for session restoration.

I'm confused.  The wiki clearly states that the If action can branch
based on a window's role.

http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Actions#If

In fact, I already have a mousebind and a keybind that branch based on
the window's role, and it works as documented in the wiki.

So role does have uses besides session restoration.