[openbox] Setting up a System Tray

Alessandro Vesely vesely at tana.it
Mon Jun 1 05:52:33 EDT 2020

Hi, thank you for your reply.

On Mon 01/Jun/2020 00:32:25 +0200 sunnycemetery wrote:
> There are many system trays and task bar programs available.  Tint2 seems to be
> a popular choice:
>
> http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Openbox-session#Panels.2C_widgets.2C_desktops.2C_pagers.2C_etc..

tint2 is nice indeed.  That page misses trayer[*].  I found that both work with
the Java Abstract Window Toolkit (AWT) package, while stalonetray does not.

The problem was that the application at hand provides for using AWT under
Windows and MacOS, but for GNU-Linux it uses a different tool, which causes the
problems I described.  Patching the app's code so that it always uses AWT
solves the problem.  I reported the bug a few minutes ago[†]

[*] https://github.com/sargon/trayer-srg
[†] https://github.com/nowina-solutions/nexu/issues/32

> 2020-05-29, 10:32, Alessandro Vesely:
>> Is there some utility that can simulate a System Tray, possibly just for a
>> single command to be given as argument?
>
> What do you mean by "simulate"?  Do you want a fake system tray (to fool
> another program that needs a system tray, for example)?  I have never heard of
> such a utility.

At this point I don't know myself.  I thought system trays worked differently
under GNU-Linux and that that was the reason for that application to take that
turn.

>  Also, what do you mean by giving a single command as an argument?

Much like apulse[‡] simulates pulseaudio...

[‡] https://github.com/i-rinat/apulse#user-content-usage

Best
Ale