[openbox] How to shutdown when using Openbox

MJ Fleming marstonfleming at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 23:02:16 EDT 2018

> Trying to do that _within openbox_ is like cutting a branch on which you
are sitting

I don't feel that's actually true. I haven't looked at the source so I'm
not totally sure what the function of openbox --exit is (I have read it
tries to kill any open processes but don't quote me).

However, systemd certainly does permit processes to persist after logout.
And under Debian, unless I have a very borked system, I'm able to execute
something like openbox --exit && systemctl poweroff, I'm assuming it
wouldn't be much to sleep the poweroff 10 seconds and pkill -u myuser after
openbox --exit if you want to be really anal about it.

It's also possible to run X and openbox as systemd services which would
then be conflicted by the poweroff or reboot targets in systemd, but I
think that method has some caveats in itself. There are some instructions
on Archwiki under the systemd article.

Just some thoughts.