[openbox] alt-tab customization

Michael Siegel msi at malbolge.net
Tue Feb 27 08:27:28 EST 2018

Am 26.02.2018 um 10:58 schrieb Rahul S:
> Hi,
>
> I am a long time user of FVWM2 and have been using it with a lot of
> customization. I recently started using LXDE/openbox and was able to
> redo most of the customization. Two of the pain points for me are:
>
> 1. When I press alt-tb on FVWM2, it displays a window list with the
> current window selected. But in LXDE/openbox, the next window is
> selected. I tend to peek at my open windows frequently and keep
> getting switched out of my current window in LXDE.
>
> 2. I tend to have a lot of applications open on my desktop. So, I
> press alt-tab and use my mouse to select the right window from the
> list instead of repeatedly pressing alt-tab. I can't do that now.
>
> Are there any configuration settings which can get me this behaviour
> on openbox as well ?

Yes, there are. What you're looking for is the client-list-combined
menu. In the default configuration, that is shown when you click onto an
empty desktop with the right mouse button. There is no default key
binding, afaik. But you can create one, putting the following lines into
your rc.xml:

  <keybind key="[key combination]">
      <action name="ShowMenu">
        <menu>client-list-combined-menu</menu>
      </action>
  </keybind>

Further information on key bindings and actions can be found at:

* http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Bindings#Key_bindings
* http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Actions

Best,

Michael