[openbox] mousebound left release script fires on press, not waiting for release (v 101 i 2)

Plmalternate Plmalternate plmalternate at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 15:22:06 EDT 2017

Thank you, both.

> From: Paul <openboxml023478 at rainslide.net>
> Do the mouse press and release events register appropriately, according to
> xev?
Looks ok to me, but I'm not an xev expert. With xev in lxterminal:
On press:

ButtonPress event, serial 25, synthetic NO, window 0x2a00001,
    root 0x497, subw 0x2a00002, time 129612230, (28,20), root:(32,64),
    state 0x10, button 1, same_screen YES

EnterNotify event, serial 25, synthetic NO, window 0x2a00001,
    root 0x497, subw 0x0, time 129612231, (28,20), root:(32,64),
    mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyInferior, same_screen YES,
    focus YES, state 272

On release:

ButtonRelease event, serial 25, synthetic NO, window 0x2a00001,
    root 0x497, subw 0x2a00002, time 129616400, (28,20), root:(32,64),
    state 0x110, button 1, same_screen YES

> From: Dana Jansens <danakj at orodu.net>
> I believe the "client" area behaves differently than other targets because
> it needs to pass the mouse click thru to the application. So it ends up
> being immediately released from the WM point of view.
I don't follow you. "Needs to pass" or simply "does pass"? Why a need
to pass a click instead of a press? The program running the content of
the underlying window can respond to a press differently from a click.
I  just tested that to be sure & in Pale Moon, on items in 2 different
kinds of context menu (highlighted text & tab) I tried pressing,
waiting, releasing; pressing, moving the pointer, releasing; & plain
clicking. The response suggests Pale Moon at least doesn't treat a
press the same as a click, which, to me, suggests OB is passing them
differently. Those context menu items don't execute until a release
with the pointer still over them. For example, I can press "close tabs
to the right" but it doesn't happen until I release. And it doesn't
happen at all if I move the pointer off the menu before releasing
button 1.

Even if this is a bug, or semi-bug/missing_feature, & not just me
being dumb, don't break your neck on this, galuys.  For my immediate
purpose, I've worked around this. But I would like to understand it.