[openbox] iconifying Chromium on startup

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Fri Jul 28 10:51:00 EDT 2017

Hi,

For a couple of years I have had the following in my rc.xml file to prevent
browsers from stealing focus when they start up:

    <application role="browser">
      <focus>no</focus>
      <iconic>yes</iconic>
    </application>

This has worked flawlessly with Firefox and Chromium until recently. Firefox is
still iconified and unfocused when it starts but Chromium pops up and takes
focus. Relevant output from obxprop for the Chromium window:

_OB_APP_CLASS(UTF8_STRING) = "Chromium"
_OB_APP_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = "chromium"
_OB_APP_ROLE(UTF8_STRING) = "browser"
WM_WINDOW_ROLE(STRING) = "browser"
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "chromium", "Chromium"

Attempting to catch it with class="chromium" fails as well. Even class="*"
fails. Am I missing something or has Chromium simply become incompliant?

I am using Openbox 3.6.1 and Chromium 60.0.3112.78 on Arch Linux. I can provide
full obxprop output if needed.

Thanks in advance for any help.