[openbox] Can the right-hand side monitor be primary and the one on left-hand side secondary?

Luciano ES lucmove at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 15:20:13 EDT 2016

On Thu, 23 Jun 2016 12:57:58 +1000, Anthony Thyssen wrote:

> The problem is actually more lower level than that.  The primary
> positions are using X server zero coordinates. As such the primary
> monitor for applications is typically the top left monitor.
>
> This is nothing to do with XRandR or Openbox, but a problem with X
> windows in that displays can't properly use negative coordinates (it
> means something different when a negative coordinate is given to
> applications)
>
> I myself wanted my primary monitor (laptop screen) below my secondary
> one (large rmonitor well above the laptop.  I couldn't do it.
>
> I have similar problems with multi-media computers where the laptop
> (multi-media center) is to the right of the large (secondary) screen
> that is to display the videos being watched.
>
> The only solutions I can see is to set up the display in reverse,
> (primary on left), and then use some weird mouse warping application
> to warp mouse movements from the 'correct' sides of the display.  Not
> perfect but should work, but I have no working solution.

**************************

Thanks, Anthony. Very informative.

I decided to put the second monitor on top. I find that a little less counterintuitive.

But there are still a bunch of problems.

* For starters, the whole thing will not survive a reboot. It all becomes one big mess.
* The second monitor takes on the duties of the first monitor.
* The second monitor always has the wrong resolution until I add it manually with xrandr.
* Both monitors have a desktop area, with icons. I had never seen that happen!
* Windows will no longer remember that usual, correct position, even if most of them have their position forced by openbox.
* The top position is all wrong. I open arandr and discover that the two screens are superimposed rather than one on top of the other. I have to adjust it back manually on randr.
* The desktop area still looks all messy. In fact, my efforts are useless until I turn off the second monitor, turn it on again, then I can rearrange everything with some hope of putting everything back in its place.
* After everything is in place, many new windows still ignore the "force position" directives in my lxde-rc.xml file and pop up wherever the heck they want.
* With every new rearrangement, osdsh decides to position itself in some new random spot.

:-(

--
Luciano ES