[openbox] KeePass Autotype does not work, Failed to execute the child process

Johan Vromans jvromans at squirrel.nl
Fri Jan 8 15:07:44 EST 2016

On Fri, 8 Jan 2016 19:12:07 +0000 (UTC)
Aquarius <aquarius at tutanota.de> wrote:

> I am trying to get key bindings work for KeePass. I use 'keepass
> --autotype' for action.

Wrong.

> I get a message "Failed to execute the child process „keepass“ (No such
> file ore directory).“

Correct.

> I tried "cli /usr/lib/keepass2/KeePass.exe" in a terminal and Keepass
> start up and I can login to the database.

Provided you did cut&paste (or copied) this correctly, your keepass2
program is /usr/lib/keepass2/KeePass.exe (note the uppercase letters in the
final name) and must be run through 'cli', which seems to be /usr/bin/cli.

> When using 'echo $PATH':
> /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

This is a very strange and dangerous PATH for a non-root user. It is most
likely set up by login scripts that have not run when openbox is started.

Your entry in menu.xml should look similar to:

   <action name="Execute">
     <command>/usr/bin/cli /usr/lib/keepass2/KeePass.exe --autotype</command>
   </action>

Note the use of lower- and uppercase!

But is seems that you have already started the program via autostart, hence
it is already running. Probably this prevents openbox from starting it?

-- Johan