[openbox] Using Openbox with Wayland

Ian Zimmerman itz at primate.net
Sun Dec 18 01:00:47 EST 2016

On 2016-12-17 23:21, Ranjan Maitra wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 12:16:34 -0800 Ian Zimmerman <itz at primate.net> wrote:

> > Isn't window management the responsibility of the toolkit under wayland?
> >
> > In other words, it makes WMs "obsolete" (quotes mine).
>
> Sorry, I don't know what this means, because I don't really know much
> about wayland. All I was wondering is if there will be performance
> hits if i don't do something for OB and other WMs to work well with
> it.

It means you can't use openbox (or any other desktop-independent WM)
with wayland at all.  It's a completely different model.

You may be able to configure fedora to avoid wayland for a while, but
given the close relationship between that distro and Gnome, it's
probably not going to last.  At some point you'll have to choose between
fedora and openbox.

Don't blame the messenger :-(