[openbox] How to maximize,undecorate window once?

James Stortz james.ryan.stortz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 16:52:51 EDT 2015

Hey all,

Good evening! I need to know how to selectively open windows with temporary
options. It's easy enough to set them in the rc.xml, which is great! Any
suggestions as to what might be possible? Doesn't seem to be a programmatic
way to do it, like an API.

Looking for anything, really.

For example, is it possible to set the _OB_CLASS or _OB_NAME or _OB_ROLE or
something before launching an app?

The only other Idea I had was toggling the rc.xml, which isn't the
prettiest and didn't work. (reset too fast)

cfg_openbox=~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml

cp -f ${cfg_openbox}.maximize ${cfg_openbox}

openbox --reconfigure
$RUN_APP_HERE &

cp -f ${cfg_openbox}.default ${cfg_openbox}

Thanks,

James