[openbox] compiling openbox 3.6.1

TT turkuting at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 02:34:17 EDT 2015

Hello,
so i thought why not compile openbox myself, disable some unneeded stuff.
i now have a reduced version running, and it's much snappier.
i don't notice any other difference, and that confuses me a little
because i disabled a lot of things.
this is on an archlinux plain openbox install, no desktop environment.
xorg-server is 1.17.2-4.

i did the usual:

./configure --help
./configure <see below>
make
sudo make install

question is:
i could not find any documentation on what those options do exactly,
besides from what is in ./configure's help message. or if there are even
more options.
a pointer to the right resource(s) would be appreciated.

if you could also take a look at my options and maybe explain some:

--disable-xkb
--disable-xshape
--disable-xsync
? i have no clue what these mean! i just disabled them, and everything
works fine.

--disable-imlib2
--disable-librsvg
as i understand, these 2 disable icons support. i don't use icons in
menus anyway.
but i still have icons in the titlebar, and they also look the same as
before.

--disable-startup-notification
kind of self-explanatory, and the behavior is as expected

--disable-nls
i took this to mean ui internationalisation. i use english anyway, so no
difference

--disable-session-management
? it's still possible to start openbox with openbox-session.
maybe it applies to more complex setups (desktop environments).
i suspect xdg-autostart doesn't work anymore.

--disable-xcursor
i still have my normal cursor theme (not the inbuilt default) when
hovering over windows? huh?

--disable-xinerama
i vaguely understand what xinerama does, and i have no desires for
customized multi-monitor setups.
anyhow my system works nicely.

--with-x
huh? does that mean i can compile ob without support for the xorg-server?
i tried, and it threw an error (no X found or something).
(this is the only option i took from the original PKGBUILD, all others
are added)

thanks for reading this far,

TT

PS:
is it possible to compile without xft or freetype (=using only xfonts)?