[openbox] How to start desktop menu using keyboard shortcut?

Paul G paulg at perforge.net
Sun May 10 11:17:27 EDT 2015

Rodolfo,

On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 9:45 AM, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi to all openbox users.
>
> I'm new to openbox and am just starting using it.  When I enter openbox
> graphical environment, I right-click the mouse and the Desktop menu opens
> up,
> but I wish to open it via keyboard instead.  Is it possibile, and how?

Yes, it is possible and encouraged. Generally speaking, you would have to
have some really exotic requirements before you found something you can't
do via a key binding in openbox.

RTFM :) Specifically, to set up keybinds you want to read:
http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Bindings#Key_bindings and the action you're
interested in is: http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Actions#ShowMenu
I suggest reading both of those pages in their entirety though, since the
value of openbox is how configurable it is and without reading what actions
are available, you won't know about all the ways in which openbox can make
your life easier and more productive.

In my rc.xml, I have it mapped this way:
<keybind key="W-space">
    <action name="ShowMenu">
        <menu>root-menu</menu>
    </action>