[openbox] Directional switching

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Tue Jul 7 11:49:05 EDT 2015

I am disappointed by the result of the directional commands in the
following specific situation.  I have a grid of windows of the same
size, lined up so they all touch (I guess "tiled" is a good description)
and I go switch with direction == northwest (the same is true for
northeast etc.)  The window selected by the algo is the one directly to
the north from the focussed one, and not the one diagonally to the
northwest as I expected.

I looked at the code ie. focus_find_directional in openbox/focus_cycle.c
and I cannot say I understand it.  Is there a paper I can read with a
rationale?  Or can the author(s) of the code explain?

I hope after I gain understanding of the current algo's goal, I can
offer a patch to make it behave better in the situation I described.