[openbox] gnome eats buttons 1 and 3

Anthony Thyssen A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au
Tue Jan 27 18:59:47 EST 2015

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 18:38:47 -0500
Jim Rees <rees at umich.edu> wrote:
| Dana Jansens wrote:
|
|   Stop running nautilus. You'll have to remove it from your session.
|
| Thanks. I couldn't figure out how to disable it, and ended up doing this:
| gconftool-2 -t b -s /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop f
|
| I don't know if that stops nautilus, but it solved the problem.

No it does not stop nautilus, just stops it putting a window over the
root background window.

Easiest way I found to get rid of all that gnome crap to remove the
"Gnone Desktop" package, and specifically gdm.

A simple replacement foir the "gdm" login is "lightdm"
but do this from a text console, not the graphics console.

I actually did this because I needed to also remove the mutter-wayland
package as part of using the ATI Graphics Driver.

For file managers thunar looks to be a good replacement.
and lxpanel has worked well for me as a replacement for the launcher
and toolbars, though it can take a bit to setup.

NOTE This does not mean I cannot run gnome applications, I do that all
the time. But without the main gnome startup stuff (from gdm) it does
not take over your system!

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au>