[openbox] make the root-menu appear at a fixed location when opening it with a keyboard shortcut, possible?

Anthony Thyssen A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au
Tue Sep 23 19:38:38 EDT 2014

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 17:13:58 -0400
Plmalternate Plmalternate <plmalternate at gmail.com> wrote:

| > Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 22:15:29 +0200
| > From: Sébastien <ml at terranean.eu>
| >
| > le 2014-09-21 à 06:54, Plmalternate écrivit:
| >> When opening the root menu with a keybinding, is it possible to have
| >> it open in a pre-set location rather that wherever the pointer happens
| >> to be?
| >
| > I answered a similar question earlier this year which might help:
| > http://icculus.org/pipermail/openbox/2014-January/008430.html
| >
| > Hope this helps,
| > Sébastien
|

| Thank you all, gentlesapients.
| Here is what I got to work:
|
| I set a keybinding to this bash script:
|
| #! /bin/bash
| xte 'mousemove 3 3'
| sleep 1
| xte 'mouseclick 3'
|
| The "xte 'mousemove 3 3'"  puts the pointer in a space occupied by a
| small conky window, which passes any click on to the root window.
|
| The "sleep 1" gives me enough time to get my fingers off the keys
| before the following "xte 'mouseclick 3'", which is a right click.
| Otherwise the right click is modified by the key or keys still being
| held down. I'd love to have a more elegant way to do this, both so
| that I wouldn't have to remember to release the keys promptly, and so
| the menu would pop up quicker, but so far that's the best I've come up
| with.

Keyboard bindings or macros, are difficult things, especially when many
programs have there own, often weird, keybindings.

For consistency I tend to make all my global key bindings 'Meta'
shifted (The 'window key' on my keyboard).

My own notes on keyboard bindings are published in
   http://www.ict.griffith.edu.au/anthony/info/X/event_handling.txt

And it also focuses on using "xte" (from the xautomation package)
but to generate keyboard macros.

For example, I press Meta-F1 and my email address is typed in whatever
window the pointer is in, even input windows that does NOT accept
'paste' events normally!

I also had problems with having to release 'shifting' keys quickly
which is another reason why 'meta' is a good one as it is normally
completely ignored by many programs. (not Firefox!)

Look for the section "The Bigger Problem: Modifiers"

Basically...
  The "xdotool" has a --clearmodifiers option

This was added for this very reason!

WARNING: Watch out for "Recursive Macros"...  :-)

What we really need is a tool that can both wait for specific events
AND then send events.  EG: wait for keys to be released, and then
apply events or run a program.  But it seems such a tool is very
tricky to create, and only used by advanced X window users.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au>