[openbox] Problems starting Openbox

Frank McCormick beacon at videotron.ca
Sat Oct 18 11:32:48 EDT 2014

   Well I found the problem and it wasn't where I was looking :)

I ran the openbox autostart files which on my machine are in
/usr/lib/i386-gnu...using the --list parameter.

The first one listed all the files it looked at but none were set to run
for various reasons.
The second python related autostart file did the same thing but I
discovered it was running Marco, the Mate desktop. Looking through
marco's desktop file (which was incomplete) I noticed there was no
"OnlyShowIn" or "NotShowIn" entries! So it was being started...no wonder
the whole system crashed :) I still don't know why the Marco Desktop
file was incomplete, but it is now.

In the process I now know more about Desktop files than I ever wanted to
know :)

Thanks and sorry for the noise.

On 10/18/2014 11:03 AM, Dana Jansens wrote:
> You looked at these?
> ~/.cache/openbox/openbox.log
> ~/.xsession-errors
>
> On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 10:24 AM, Frank McCormick <beacon at videotron.ca
> <mailto:beacon at videotron.ca>> wrote:
>
>     I installed openbox on my machine a few months ago, but haven't
>     really used it very much since then. I am running Debian Sid, and
>     about a month ago switched it to the new init system SystemD. I
>     don;t know whether this is related to my problem.
>     Yesterday I tried starting up open box to do a little customization
>     and found it wouldn't run. It seems to open up, displays the
>     background, then crashes to the computer returns to lightdm.
>
>     I reduced the local startup menu to almost nothing but to no avail.
>     The strange thing is if I run openbox itself and not
>     openbox-session, it starts and runs fine, but of course nothing in
>     the auto-start files gets run.
>
>     I have checked the logs but there are no clues there as to what is
>     happening.
>
>     Does anyone have a clue as to whats going on or where I might start
>     looking. There are a few remnants of SystemD on the computer such as
>     systemd-logind...but I don;t see the connection there.
>

>     Thanks

1984 was not meant as a blueprint for
democratic governments.