[openbox] Problems starting Openbox

Frank McCormick beacon at videotron.ca
Sat Oct 18 10:24:23 EDT 2014

I installed openbox on my machine a few months ago, but haven't really
used it very much since then. I am running Debian Sid, and about a month
ago switched it to the new init system SystemD. I don;t know whether
this is related to my problem.
Yesterday I tried starting up open box to do a little customization and
found it wouldn't run. It seems to open up, displays the background,
then crashes to the computer returns to lightdm.

I reduced the local startup menu to almost nothing but to no avail.
The strange thing is if I run openbox itself and not openbox-session, it
starts and runs fine, but of course nothing in the auto-start files gets
run.

I have checked the logs but there are no clues there as to what is
happening.

Does anyone have a clue as to whats going on or where I might start
looking. There are a few remnants of SystemD on the computer such as
systemd-logind...but I don;t see the connection there.

Thanks