[openbox] Can I have the root menu always open in the center of the screen?

Augustine Souza aesouza2008 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 23:00:41 EST 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 3:00 PM, Sébastien <ml at terranean.eu> wrote:

> I don't know any "Openbox way" to do it but instead of emulating a
> mouse click you can just use the keybind, and then no empty space is
> needed:
>
> $ xdotool mousemove --polar 0 0 key Super_L+space
>
>  Sébastien,

That command doesn't work the way it should for me:
On pressing <enter>
the mouse cursor moved to the center of the screen (as it should) but root
menu did not open.
Instead, the next terminal prompt is pushed one space to the right and a
space is "typed" after the prompt as well. (This happens even if no part of
the terminal occupies screen center and even if there is no application
window covering the center of the screen.)

This doesn't seem to be only with "Super_L+space". Other keybinds of my
rc.xml, such as Super+f  (W-f) or Super-m (W-m) to open Firefox or Medit
don't work. Instead, the letters "f" (or "m") appear in the terminal (as
for the spaces mentioned above).

Anyway, I'll just use the other way of keeping a spot free at the top
center of my screen between a little Conky strip and my tint2 panel.

Thanks for helping all the same.

Augustine