[openbox] Use of DISPLAY in menu commands

Robert . historyofstamp at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 19:32:44 EST 2014

You need to invoke your command from inside of a bash script.

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 7:26 AM, Jim Rees <rees at umich.edu> wrote:
daryl at ci.com.au wrote:

I'm not sure how openbox executes commands, but it doesn't seem to do many
of the usual shell expansions. Try this:

                          <command>
                                  sh -c "xterm -display $DISPLAY"
                          </command>

>From my limited reading of the code, OpenBox expands only a few special
case variables.  Special variables are pid, wid, pointer. execute.c line 140

I invoked this script from the OpenBox execute statement:
#!/bin/bash
theText=""

echo "witin $0 =================================" | cat >>/home/me/letussee

echo "in $0" | cat >>/home/me/letussee

echo "with $# $* " | cat >>/home/me/letussee

echo "with DISPLAY = $DISPLAY " | cat >>/home/me/letussee

echo "with PATH = $PATH " | cat >>/home/me/letussee

with this result
witin /home/me/trialtext.sh =================================
in /home/me/trialtext.sh
with 3 line $DISPLAY $PATH
with DISPLAY = :0
with PATH =
/usr/libexec/lightdm:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin
me $

Robert