[openbox] On-key-release keybindings

Mikael Magnusson mikachu at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 10:17:16 EDT 2014

On 30 April 2014 15:12, The Wanderer <wanderer at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 04/30/2014 08:54 AM, Alexey Korop wrote:
>
>> The Wanderer wrote on 29.04.2014 17:18:
>>
>>> If there is facility for KeyRelease bindings in OpenBox, I'd like
>>> to learn what it is, so I can use it. If there isn't, I'd like to
>>> ask if it could be added, for a future release. If not, I'll have
>>> to fall back on some non-OpenBox keybindings method to try to get
>>> this to work.
>>
>> Unfortunately any X-based solution may conflicts with modifier using
>> of the Win key.
>
> Are you sure?
>
> If you bind Super_L to an action currently, yes, it breaks W-* bindings;
> the Super_L binding eats the KeyPress event, and the combo bindings
> never see the modifier key.
>
> However, I would intuitively expect that if you bind "Super_L
> KeyRelease" to an action, but leave the W-* bindings alone, then since
> nothing is bound to the KeyPress the W-* bindings would still be able to
> see it - and if you don't press another key, but just release Super_L,
> it would trigger the single-key binding.
>
> If someone has done the work to create a KeyRelease binding, and
> discovered that it doesn't work that way, I'd be interested to know it.
> But so far I haven't found any indication that anyone has even tried.

What makes you think the release binding wouldn't trigger just because
you pressed another key in the meantime? Yes, sure, you could write a
lot of special case code that figures out that Super_L is the key that
caused that other key event we just handled to have the Mod4 state bit
set, and remember it, such that it doesn't trigger. That's a lot of
special case code for an extremely fringey case though.

--
Mikael Magnusson