[openbox] xmodmap causes openbox 3.5.x to stop responding, consume cpu cycles

Parke parke.nexus at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 00:30:45 EDT 2014

Hi,

When I run the following command on Openbox 3.5.2 on Ubuntu 14.04:

xmodmap -pke | xmodmap -

CPU usage spikes to 100% for 50+ seconds.  During this time, openbox
does not respond to any mouse (or keyboard?) actions.

Running the same command in Unity uses about 2 seconds of CPU.

I believe this problem appeared some years ago with Openbox 3.5.

On a slower machine, running Openbox 3.4.10, when I run the above
xmodmap command, openbox is sluggish (but still responds) for 10
seconds.  During seconds 10-20, CPU usage is still 100%, but openbox
is highly responsive.  After 20 seconds, CPU usage drops to normal
levels.

Thanks,

-Parke