[openbox] exclude_application_from_minimizing_effect-show_desktop-super+d

Tomislav Perkovic tperkovi at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 06:03:13 EDT 2013

Hello, my name is Tom and I greet everybody on the list.

I have a problem concerning openbox with "Show Desktop" option. I have set
up a terminal in a wallpaper style, removed window decorations, removed
shadowing in compton.conf, so I can have a terminal always waiting for me.
BUT, i use it now as a "second desktop application". When i want to type
into CLI, i switch to another desktop which has no windows open. The inital
intention was to minimize/iconify all windows with a keyboard shortcut and
start typing into the terminal (super+d, as default and well known
shortcut). And when I press super+d, the terminal in Desktop profile
(wallpaper terminal also minimizes, which makes the inital idea stupid:D

I'm not sure should that be controlled by openbox, but fluxbox users told
me they can exclude some app from minimizing. So I presume...that can be
done in openbox also, right? When I wanted to exclude terminal_desktop
(wallpaper term) from shadowing, i edited the compton.conf file, but there
is no option for "show desktop" so I can't put the exclude argument. Is
this an Openbox issue? Should I try to find help somewhere else(maybe
compton mailing list?) or is this the right place? I tried with wmctrl, but
it doesn't support some options in Openbox and the "show desktop" option is
one of them. Any suggestions, ideas, workarounds,...?

openbox ver. 3.5.0
kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.41-2+deb7u2 x86_64 GNU/Linux

distro-crunchbang
terminator terminal
compton wm
slim