[openbox] Fighting Gnome

Johan Vromans jvromans at squirrel.nl
Mon Jul 15 02:54:57 EDT 2013

Robbie Smith <zoqaeski at gmail.com> writes:

> It’s pretty involved to set up, but I wrote a “tutorial” here:
> https://github.com/zoqaeski/systemd-user-units [...] There are a few
> userland daemons I have which systemd cannot control properly,
> Pulseaudio being one of them.

Thanks for the extensive info. Unfortunately it gives me the feeling
that I'm trading in one big, uncontrollable desktop system for yet
another big and uncontrollable system. Systemd is very much a work in
progress and heavily underdocumented.

On top of that - my current setup (using some selected xcfe components)
seemed to work reasonably fine, until I plugged in the HDMI cable to the
tv to watch a video. It turned out I had no sound, and virtually no
means to get vlc fullscreen on the tv. I finally managed to show the
video by using a test account that was configured (default) for Gnome
Classic.

So basically I'm back at square one. A modern desktop based linux distro
like Fedora seems to be so tangled up with all kinds of tools and
utilities that it is no longer possible to have a non-standard setup
that is functional in all aspects. Since with Gnome 3 they abandoned the
window manager component it may turn out the be impossible to run a
decent wm like openbox instead.

-- Johan