[openbox] question on window size

Dana Jansens dana at orodu.net
Sun Feb 24 12:46:56 EST 2013

> On Feb 23, 2013 8:10 PM, "Fred" <fred at blakemfg.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 02/06/2013 11:23 PM, Das wrote:
> >>
> >> If you're running a fairly recent version of X you shouldn't have to
adjust it, usually this section "Screen" with just the Depth is all that is
needed below;

> >> Section "Screen"
> >>     Identifier     "Screen0"
> >>     Device         "Device0"
> >>     Monitor        "Monitor0"
> >>     DefaultDepth    24
> >>     SubSection     "Display"
> >>         Depth       24
> >>     EndSubSection
> >>
> >> Resoultion issues are also an Xorg issue not OpenBox, running OpenBox
you have to do things by hand. :) So if what I suggest below also doesn't
help, then go back to the Debian community somewhere to help you set up
your xorg.conf

> >> I've found in the past just setting only a resoultion size does not
help, typically the HorizSync and VertRefresh are needed, also having the
correct BusID is helpful. Also if the text size is off, you could try
adding in the DPI like this; Option "DPI" "96 x 96".

rees at umich.edu>> wrote:

> >>     Fred wrote:
> >>
> >>       I fixed the magnification problem with the xorg.conf file and the
> >>       monitor is now set to 1280x1024.  However, minimized icons are
still
> >>       way off the screen and I can't get to them.  If I grab xterm with
> >>       the mouse pointer it will go off the screen on the bottom and
right
> >>       side so the window is larger than the screen.  How can this be
> >>       fixed?

try
> >>     xrandr. Again, this is not an Openbox issue.

> > Hello,
> > There has been some progress!  I tried running openbox-session instead
of openbox but had some problems so I restored openbox in .xsession.  The
windows now have resistance at the monitor edge and when windows overlap.
 This is programmable in rc.xml so we can say openbox knows what size the
monitor is and the problem is in the openbox routines that decide where to
park a minimized icon.  Any ideas?

> Try middle click on your desktop or use alt-tab to reach your minimized
apps. There are no icons created by openbox on the desktop. You can use a
third party panel or desktop ui program to do that.

> > Another problem:
> > If I set a background with xsetroot in .xsession and run openbox the
background shows ok.  If I run openbox-session instead
$HOME/.config/openbox/autostart does not run and the background is changed
to gray.

> > Some other questions:
> >
> > What is a "docking application" as discussed in the documentation?
>
> Dockapps: http://dockapps.windowmaker.org
>
> > What is the difference between starting some applications from
.xsession before starting openbox and starting them with
openbox-session/autostart?

> Try autostart.sh with older openbox versions (3.4). Autostart apps are
started after openbox in 3.5. In 3.4 there's  little difference, unless you
are running openbox from a graphical login.

> > How can one copy/paste in an xterm window under openbox?  The same
version of Debian with gnome on a PC allows copy/paste to xterm.  I am
using Debian 6.0 on a Sun Ultra 5.