[openbox] auto-starting xscreensaver

Louis-David Mitterrand vindex+lists-openbox at apartia.org
Fri Feb 15 08:46:49 EST 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 02:08:44PM +1100, Robbie Smith wrote:
> On 15/02/13 03:49, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> >
> The simplest (though non-XDG) way is to edit
> ~/.config/openbox/autostart and add the following two lines:
>
> xscreensaver-command -exit &
> xscreensaver -no-splash &
>
> The first kills a running instance (such as when you log out and log
> back in), and the second starts a new one.

Thanks for this suggestion.

Actually XDG scripts were not being executed because I used

'exec openbox'

instead of

'exec openbox-session'

in my ~/.xsession file. However this raises another question: I use this
line in my ~/.xsession file to set the background:

xli -quiet -onroot ~/img/${HOSTNAME}.jpg

as I have a collection of images for each of my computers. The problem
is that 'openbox-session' resets the background to a solid color whereas
'openbox' does not. And there is no expansion of ${HOSTNAME} in
~/.config/openbox/autostart

Is there a way around this?