[openbox] debian testing oddity

Jim Rees rees at umich.edu
Sat Dec 21 21:35:48 EST 2013

General wrote:

  The latest openbox upgrade (from 3.5.2-4 to 3.5.2-5) want's to pull in the
  whole of gnome, GDM and pulse audio as dependencies!

I don't run debian any more but as I recall you can find out why these are
being pulled in:

apt-get install apt-rdepends
apt-rdepends openbox

The debian package changelog[1] says that openbox-gnome-session and
openbox-kde-session are now "recommended" dependencies, so maybe that's
it. I know that at some point ubuntu started installing recommended
dependencies by default, don't know about debian. I used to always turn this
off by creating the file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/06norecommends:

APT
{
        Install-Recommends "false";
        Install-Suggests "false";
}

Or you can use the apt-get command line option --no-install-recommends when
you install openbox.

1. http://ftp-master.metadata.debian.org/changelogs//main/o/openbox/openbox_3.5.2-5_changelog