[openbox] partial strut question...

Mason Loring Bliss mason at blisses.org
Mon Apr 22 18:22:09 EDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 05:15:06PM -0400, Andrew Gallant wrote:

> Have you tried running dzen with `dzen2 -dock`?

It seems to have no such option.

> Last time I checked, I thought `xmobar` set the `override_redirect`
> attribute, which effectively makes it ignored by window managers.

Good catch. That was it. I don't know Haskell, but I've butchered the xmobar
code a little bit to *not* set the override_redirect attribute, and to set a
window type, and it appears to work. OpenBox resizes things to avoid stepping
on xmobar.

Ah, and a small setback. Turning off override_redirect now means that the
xmobar window, while properly avoided by OpenBox-managed windows going full-
screen, is now tied to a particular virtual desktop. A recommendation is to
set _NET_WM_STATE = _NET_WM_STATE_STICKY, _NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_TASKBAR,
_NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_PAGER, so I'm going to see if I can figure out how to do
that.

--
Mason Loring Bliss    ((    IF I HAD KNOWN IT WAS HARMLESS
 mason at blisses.org     ))    I WOULD HAVE KILLED IT MYSELF.