[openbox] partial strut question...

Mason Loring Bliss mason at blisses.org
Mon Apr 22 16:59:35 EDT 2013

Hi, all!

I'm trying to get xmobar to work with OpenBox. However, when I maximize
windows, OpenBox doesn't seem to honor xmobar. It also doesn't honor dzen2.
It *does* honor xfce4-panel, however.

What's odd is that as far as I understand it, the only EWMH that should
matter is this one:

_NET_WM_STRUT_PARTIAL(CARDINAL) = 0, 0, 0, 16, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1023

I see both xmobar and dzen2 setting one of these, but it doesn't seem to
matter.

xfce4-panel also sets this one:

_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK

...but when I get xmobar to do that too, once again it doesn't matter.

xfce4-panel sets a bunch of other properties, but my reading is that the only
one that should matter is the partial strut.

I'm using OpenBox 3.5.0, from Debian Wheezy. Any thoughts?

PS: Setting margins isn't what I want, since I only want a bar on my main
monitor, and as far as I can see there's no way to specify per-monitor
margins.

--
 Mason Loring Bliss         mason at blisses.org        http://blisses.org/
"I am a brother of jackals, and a companion of ostriches."  (Job 30 : 29)