[openbox] Per application settings

Anthony Thyssen A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au
Thu Mar 22 01:07:46 EDT 2012

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 21:55:20 -0700
Israel Jacques <mrkotfw at gmail.com> wrote:
| Hello everyone,
|
| I have the following:
|
| <application class="Inkscape" type="normal">
|   <desktop>5</desktop>
|   <layer>below</layer>
|   <decor>no</decor>
|   <position force="yes">
|     <x>center</x>
|     <y>center</y>
|   </position>
|   <maximized>yes</maximized>
| </application>
| <application class="Inkscape" type="dialog">
|   <desktop>5</desktop>
|   <layer>above</layer>
|   <decor>yes</decor>
|   <position force="yes">
|     <x>center</x>
|     <y>center</y>
|   </position>
| </application>
|
| Which works fine. However, I've noticed that all dialogs are
| full-screen. Using obxprop/xprop I see the following on the so-called
| "dialog":
|
| _OB_APP_TYPE(UTF8_STRING) = "normal"
| _OB_APP_TITLE(UTF8_STRING) = "Export Bitmap (Shift+Ctrl+E)"
| _OB_APP_CLASS(UTF8_STRING) = "Inkscape"
| _OB_APP_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = "inkscape"
| _OB_APP_ROLE(UTF8_STRING) =
|
| It just so happens that ALL the "dialog windows" have a type of
| "normal". Is there a way to mitigate this? Is there a way to
| differentiate these windows from the actual normal window or will I
| have to actually tell Inkscape to fix this "bug"?

As a suggestion, you are only wanting the first main window maximized.
So I suggest you write a wrapper script to start the application
locate that first window, and maximise it.  That is do it as
a start up proceedure, rather than as a per-applicaiton proceedure.

The other parts of per-application setup of openbox can remain as is.

The "xdotool" or "xwit" (and others) can be used for the maximize
so you just need a program (or script) to wait for that first window
to appear.

A script "xwin_find" can do that.  Waiting dor up to a given timeout
and returning the windows ID that was found when it appears
  http://www.ict.griffith.edu.au/anthony/software/#xwin_find

An example usage is in the scripts comments.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au>