[openbox] The 'Maximize' Action Crops Window Borders

Anthony Thyssen A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au
Wed Mar 21 22:29:34 EDT 2012

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 22:23:41 +0100
Bastien Dejean <nihilhill at gmail.com> wrote:
| Hi,
|
| It seems that the 'maximize' action ignores window borders.
|
| Greetings,

I believe maximize does this ON PURPOSE!

I would not want to loose window borders on a maximized window!

NOTE however that a display that has 'margins' defined (typically from
panel applications) may also should limit the 'maximum limits' of
windows.  (I have been teaching my XV application about these ;-).

Perhaps we need to add a 'fully-maximized' function to openbox,
to provide this type of operation. That is maximizing beyond 'margin'
and window decoration limits.

Of course you have the risk that after fully-maximizing a window you
have no keyboard override control to un-maximize the window :-)
Caution is needed when setting up such a function!

Though this may also need checks for 'xinerrama' type displays!
I had a lot of problems with my panel expanding to cover multiple
displays, the righ most being too small to even display the
pannel at the bottom of the screen!!!

I gather this is for a video or slide show display.

These applications typically have their own methods of fully maximizing
to the actual individual physical screen.  And even auto-raising the
application above windows that the window manager and or panel
application, typically puts above most normal windows (panel).  I
believe it is a special mode they use.

Such a mode is better than any window manager provided setup.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au>