[openbox] New windows don't get focus

Jorge López Pérez jorge at adobo.org
Tue Mar 13 05:01:15 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I'm using Openbox 3.5.0 on Fedora 16 x86_64, and I'm facing a really
strange problem with focus. I have used Openbox for some years and I
didn't have this problem before.

I have some keybindings configured to launch the usual applications:
gnome-terminal, Firefox, Chromium, etc. When I launch them they
sometimes get focused, but most of the time they are just kept in
background while current window keeps the focus. I have 'focusNew' set
to 'yes' in rc.xml.

It happens no matter which application is focused at that moment. It
happens with all applications (Firefox, Gnome-terminal, Chrome,
Thunderbird, etc.), so I don't suspect there is a focus stealing app.

After running Openbox with debug mode enabled, I've been able to isolate
the lines corresponding to the creation of a new gnome-terminal that
didn't get focus (I had a Firefox window focused). You'll find them at
http://pastebin.com/5zHH6Wh7 .

Is anyone having a similar issue? Do I need to check any configuration
variable? If you need more details, please ask.

Thank you very much.

Regards.
--
Jorge López Pérez