[openbox] Placeing windows...

meino.cramer at gmx.de meino.cramer at gmx.de
Fri Mar 2 13:48:25 EST 2012

Anthony Thyssen <A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au> [12-03-02 17:08]:
> On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 05:05:47 +0100
> meino.cramer at gmx.de wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | from a shell script I want to place the windows of certain
> | applications in a specific size and position to a certain desktop,
> | which is not necessarily the aktive one.
> |
> | How can I acchieve this?
> |
> There are quite a number of commands to 'control X windows'
>
>    xdotool     -- it is in active devlopment - lots of options
>                   also can generate xevents (mouse moves and key strokes
>                   or wait for certain events than do something
>                   (make a 'pull out window' from the edge for example)
>    wmctrl      -- reasonable
>    xwit        -- Quite good
>    wmiface     -- A old KDE3-based window controller
>

> Warning many windows can take a bit of time to appear.
>
> I use a script called   xwin_find to watch for a window to appear
> then report its X Window ID, so it can be re-positions, or iconified.
>
> For example...
>   ( firefox -P default -geometry 820x1000+530+70 & ) &
>   if id=`xwin_find 60 ".* Mozilla Firefox"`; then
>     echo "Main firefox window found (id=$id)"
>     xwit -resize 1000 1000 -move 330 70 -iconify -id $id
>   else
>     echo "ERROR: Firefox Default window NOT FOUND!"
>   fi
>
> The script uses "xwininfo" (standard X utility) and can be downloaded from
>   http://www.ict.griffith.edu.au/anthony/software/#xwin_find
>

> There is also an application calls 'devilspie' which does similar but
> works continuously waiting for new windows to action on, not just the
> initial window.
>

> As another example I used "xwit" to create a script that can 'jiggle' a
> window to bring it to the users attention..
>    http://www.ict.griffith.edu.au/anthony/software/#jiggle_window
>

> For more info on getting Window IDs  (very useful things) see
>   http://www.ict.griffith.edu.au/anthony/info/X/WindowID.hints
>

>   Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au>

Hi,

I tried devilspie together with gdevilspie.
Even a simple example does not work for me:

In $HOME/.devilspie I put a file named firefox.ds with the
following contents:
; generated_rule firefox
( if
( and
( is ( application_name ) "Mozilla Firefox" )
)
( begin
( maximize )
( set_workspace 2 )
( println "match" )
)
)

The name of the application is fetched by gdevilspie, which also put
together the file itsself.

Running devilspie produces this (I am using openbox)
(devilspie:5534): Wnck-WARNING **: Unhandled action type _OB_WM_ACTION_UNDECORATE

(devilspie:5534): Wnck-WARNING **: Unhandled action type _OB_WM_ACTION_UNDECORATE

(devilspie:5534): Wnck-WARNING **: Unhandled action type _OB_WM_ACTION_UNDECORATE

(devilspie:5534): Wnck-WARNING **: Unhandled action type _OB_WM_ACTION_UNDECORATE

(devilspie:5534): Wnck-WARNING **: Unhandled action type _OB_WM_ACTION_UNDECORATE

(devilspie:5534): Wnck-WARNING **: Unhandled action type _OB_WM_ACTION_UNDECORATE

(devilspie:5534): Wnck-WARNING **: Unhandled action type _OB_WM_ACTION_UNDECORATE

Every time a window appears such a line is printed. Unfortunatly this
is the only which happens...

Sometimes devilspie crashes.

What is it what I am doing that wrong ... :) ;)

Thank you very much for any help in advance!
Best regards,
mcc