[openbox] How to make a distribution file?

Jim Rees jim at rees.org
Wed Jul 18 19:48:44 EDT 2012

Is there some way I can make a tarball or other package of some kind that I
can then use to install openbox on another system?  I tried "make dist" but
it just made an empty tar file for me.

I also tried putting a fully built source tree on the target system and
doing "make install", which has worked for me in the past with other
packages, but it refuses to do anything if the build prerequisites aren't
there even if it doesn't have to build anything.

I can't build on the target due to memory and space constraints.

This is on ubuntu, so if I have to I'll install the source deb and see if I
can get it to use my source instead of its own, but it seems like there
should be a simpler way.